Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

ASUS RT-AC66U Review

I had the pleasure of using this beast today and was skeptical when my client sent it to me for my opinion. This router packs a punch when it comes to features, such as using an external drive on the router (NAS functionality) and ASUS's in house cloud software (haven't tried this out - my laptop had it installed as well). Post a comment if you've used it, more than happy to hear any feedback.

As far as negative reviews go, it seems that the ASUS RT-AC66U can be a little glitchy unless you update the firmware, after that people are saying this clears up all the problems. After setting it up I immediately updated the firmware, no problems. The interface is impeccable, gives you all the options without the garbage that its competition has. I was easily able to set up port forwarding, and my favorite feature - Simultaneous 2.4 and 5 ghz bands! I purchased a Cisco (Linksys) E2000 N router about a year ago that is one or the other, some of my devices cant connect to 5 so I am constantly switching back and forth, NOT WITH THIS THING!

I was also surprised to see how little marketing effort have been made to get this point across. Not all new N routers have the capability of running both bands at the same time and delegating independent SSID's to each.



Looks

This is one of the first ac type routers to have external antennas, it has a great range and will plow through almost anything in the way (rock/plaster/etc(. When both bands are active the range is substantially increased. The router is a nice dark grey with blue LED's, smokin' hot. Its also slim which is a little strange for most N routers, low profile look makes it a perfect edition to what I like to call, geek furniture.

UI - Tip

When you connect to the router for the first time wirelessly you can set it up, contrary to what other online reviews are saying. Even if you are starting it up for the first time, you can bypass the wizard if your internet isn't connected - you have to play around with it in order to get out of the setup screen.

Overall this router is all that and a bag of computer chips. The only thing I could see holding me back from buying is the $180 (on the low end) price tag. You do get every dollar out of it and though ASUS isn't a typical network component industry leader, I have a feeling they could be taking a BIG market share in the near future.

No comments: